Erasers are commonly used in art to create highlights and add dimension to drawings by lightly erasing certain areas. They can also be used for making corrections and removing unwanted marks. However, it is important to note that erasers can sometimes damage the surface of the paper being worked on, so careful pressure and technique should be used when erasing.
What are the benefits of using erasers?
One of the main benefits of using an eraser is the ability to make corrections without damaging the paper or leaving behind a trace. This allows for a more precise and clean result, especially in writing or drawings that require precision. Additionally, erasers can also be used to lighten or soften marks, creating highlights or shading in drawings.
What are the drawbacks of erasers?
While erasers can be useful for making corrections and adding highlights, they can also damage the surface of the paper if too much pressure is applied or if used too frequently. Additionally, erasers can also smudge the paper and leave behind tiny particles, which may require further touching up or cleaning. In some cases, erasers can also leave behind a slight discoloration on the paper. It is important to use caution and a light touch when using an eraser to avoid these potential drawbacks.
What are some tips for using erasers?
- Choose the right eraser for the job - there are different types of erasers designed for specific purposes, such as art erasers or drafting erasers. Using the wrong type of eraser can result in damage to the paper or inability to effectively erase marks.
- Apply gentle pressure and use a light touch when erasing to avoid tearing or damaging the paper.
- When erasing pencil marks, it can be helpful to use a kneaded eraser as it can be moulded into different shapes for reaching small areas or creating texture.
- Only use erasers on paper and avoid using them on surfaces that may be damaged by the rubbing or scraping motion.
- Additionally, avoid chewing or ingesting erasers as they can be a choking hazard and may contain harmful chemicals.
What other art supplies will I need when using erasers?
In addition to the eraser itself, you may also need a pencil for creating marks that can be erased. It may also be helpful to have a pencil sharpener for keeping your pencils in good condition. Depending on the type of eraser you are using, it may also be helpful to have a pencil eraser shield to protect and outline specific areas while erasing. Overall, the specific art supplies needed when using an eraser will depend on the specific project and techniques being used.