Take inspiration from your favourite holiday destinations and dream up new ones to create with pen and watercolour.
This tutorial brings two travel moments to life – a market piazza and a charming village courtyard laneway garden. With the structure of two printed templates, learn how to make confident marks which describe a sense of place in a looser sketch style with both pens and watercolour. Experiment with the various sized nibs and the sense of perspective these create when using multiple Kent Fineliner sizes in one artwork. The pigmented ink is waterproof once dry and perfect to couple with watercolour washes to add splashes of colour to your drawings.
Watching this video tutorial will help you develop skills in colour mixing to create a range of colours with a limited palette of 6 colours: Lemon Yellow Hue, Permanent Rose, Ultramarine, Turquoise, Burnt Sienna and Indian Red.
Be inspired and gain confidence to further explore these techniques to transform some of your favourite travel photographs into works of art with Kent and Reeves as well as responding to your own discoveries close to home.
This video style online class is run by a Professional Artist, Carla Hananiah and will allow you to create with confidence, whilst being guided through each step of the artwork at your own pace.
We recommend that you watch the video tutorial in its entirety before commencing, so preferred techniques and effects can be selected to try out on your own artwork. The online video format of this tutorial also however allows you to start and stop at your own pace if you wish. You can view the video for 30 days from the date you receive access to the video.
About the Artist: Carla Hananiah
Carla holds a Masters of Fine Art through Research, a Master of Art and a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of New South Wales. She has exhibited throughout Australia and is the recipient of multiple prizes including Mosman Art Prize Viewers’ Choice Award (2012), the Blake Prize Society’s John Coburn Emerging Artist Award (2011), the Hornsby Art Prize (2011) and the Winsor & Newton Start Your Studio Scholarship (2009). Carla seeks to capture the overwhelming beauty of nature and our relationship to its bewildering force. Her intimate knowledge of colour frames the foundation of her practice.
Video Tutorial Duration: 1 hour
How does it work?
- Purchase the online tutorial on this page.
- Once your order has been processed, an email will be sent to you from firstname.lastname@example.org with your video tutorial link and login details. Please allow up to 2 working days to receive this email.
- Ensure you have the materials for the tutorial – please see below.
- Pencil some time in your diary to set up your art materials, watch the online tutorial and create your artwork!
What do you need?
To make your life easier, we have developed an Art Kit tailored specifically for this tutorial, which contains all the essential art materials featured in this tutorial. Click here to purchase the kit and save over 20% off the recommended retail price (RRP), while stocks last.
- 1 x Kent Graphic Fineliner & Brush Pen Set 7 (0.05mm, 0.1mm, 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 1mm & Brush Marker)
- 6 x Reeves Fine Artist Watercolour 12ml Paint Tubes (Indian Red, Ultramarine, Lemon Yellow Hue, Permanent Rose, Turquoise, Burnt Sienna)
- 1 x Jasart Plastic Round Palette (10 well)
- 1 x Jasart Easy Flow Aquabrush Set 3 (Small, Medium & Large)
- 1 x Kent Mesh Pouch (DL size)
- 1 x Sketching Template Pack
* Artwork templates are provided electronically via email to all participants who purchase the online tutorial video.
We hope you thoroughly enjoy this online tutorial.