Stand out from the crowd and create this rainbow headdress for yourself. Perfect for Fancy Dress, Mardi Gras or New Year parties.
Click here for a PDF of this project.
What you will need
- Educraft Coloured Match Sticks
- Educraft Coloured Wood Sticks
- Educraft Feathers
- Educraft Paper Mache Half Mask
- Educraft Pipe Cleaners
- Elmers Craft Bond Tacky Glue
- Glue Gun
- Kaisercraft Rhinestones
- Copic Ciao Markers
How to do it
- Firstly sort the feathers, wood sticks and match sticks into piles of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
- Take a coloured wood stick and attach a corresponding matchstick to the end using Elmers Glue, so about half protrudes out. Once dry, use the glue gun to attach the wood stick facing outwards to the inside of the Paper Mache Half Mask into a fan like design, alternating the colours as you go. Continue until you have covered the top half of the mask. Wait to dry.
- Next, take the coloured feathers and in the same colour order as the wood sticks start gluing down to the inside of the mask. Ensure that the feathers are closely positioned (You want to achieve a thick full effect with no gaps between coloured feathers). Leave to dry.
- Then take the pipe cleaners and again in the same colour order as the other products start gluing onto the back of the Paper Mache Mask spacing them out in a fan like design. Once dry the exposed ends of the pipe cleaners can be bent into a wave effect for added depth.
- Finally, take the coloured matchsticks and stick to the front top rim of the mask using the glue gun. Ensure they are tightly packed for a finished effect. Glue a red pipe cleaner along the bottom of the matchsticks bending the end around the back of the mask for a tidy finish.
- As a finishing touch, take Kaisercraft Rhinestones and stick them directly to the mask just below the red pipe cleaner and below each eye hole. Use Copic Ciao Markers to colour in the rhinestones to match the rainbow colours used in the headdress.