Want to create a rainbow from scratch? In this project Get Arty artist, Tilly, shows us how to create your very own rainbow pencil!
Click here for a PDF of this project.
What you will need
- Plastic rolling pin
- Pencil leads
- Butter knife
- Non-stick bench top (such as marble)
- Polymer clay in a variety of colours (white, red,orange, yellow, green, blue, pink)
- Baking tray
- Oven mits
How to do it
- Get the polymer clay and roll each colour into a little ball
- Warm up the clay in your hands by rolling it around. Place ball of clay in the centre of your work space
- Start to roll out the clay until it’s a flat oval (as flat as it will go without tearing)
- Once each colour has been flattened, lay each on top of each other with the white on the outsid
- Repeat the process rolling over the stack of clay to gently press together. The layered clay stack should be about 3mm in width
- Take a butter knife and slice off the edges so it’s a clean line making a rectangle
- Take a pencil led and measure it against the length of the clay and trim again so it’s the same length
- Roll the clay up with the led in the middle, give it an extra roll with your hand on the bench so it’s like a little sausage
- Lay on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 110 degrees
- Take an extra layer of white polymer clay, same length, and roll up the baked one inside it
- Bake again in the oven for a further 5 minutes. Once cooled, your pencil is ready to be sharpened and put to work!