Everyone loves candles, so what better gift to make for someone special than making a tealight candle holder. In fact this is so simple, why not create a set of them!
To download this project as a PDF, click here.
What you will need
- Reeves Acrylic Paint
- Flat Paint Brush
- Polystyrene Cups
- Tealight Candles
- Masking Tape
- Plaster Mix
How to do it
- Mix the Plaster Powder with water according to packet instructions. Make sure when you add the powder to water that you allow the powder to soak for 1-3 minutes. (You need approximately 2 parts powder to water but you may need to adjust consistency depending on the plaster being used).
- Fill the paper cup to the top with the wet plaster mix and allow to set for around 30 minutes.
- As the plaster mix is starting to harden push the tea light candle into the centre of the cup. Twist the candle around a few times to ensure a hole has been formed. Remove the candle again. Leave the cup aside to dry
- Carefully tear and peel the paper cup off from around the hardened plaster. Make sure that the plaster is completely dry.
- Tape a design onto the candle holder and apply paint. Apply 2 coats to ensure even coverage.
- Ensure all paint is dry before using candle holders. IDEA: Swap the plaster mix for Sand & Cement for a more rugged rough texture or use a plastic cup with a ribbed design for a different effect.