To download this project as a PDF, click here.
These cute monsters are easy to make using FIMO kids modelling clay. They can be used to decorate bedrooms walls windows, drawers, wardrobes or toy boxes and brighten up any room. Children will have fun designing these monsters boosting their imagination and fine motor skills.
What you will need
- FIMO Kids Modelling Clay
- FIMO Gloss Varnish
- Modelling Tools
- Acrylic Roller
- Shaped Cutters (optional)
- Double Sided Tape
- Baking Paper
How to do it
- Use your hands to roll the modelling clay into a big ball. Place onto a piece of baking paper. Flatten the ball a little with your hand, then use the roller to flatten it out to approximately 2-3mm thickness. Use a modelling tool and cut out the desired shape for the body of the monster, it can be oval, pear or round. (One pack of FIMO kids will make one medium sized monster).
- Shape a small ball of FIMO kids clay for each arm, leg and foot for the monster. Flatten it with your finger and position it on the body overlapping the edges slightly. Press on it with your finger and smooth it over. Add all other protruding parts such as eyes, horns, feelers, ears, feathers to the monster in the same way.
- To create a monster with stripes, roll several thin sausages in one or more colours. Place them on the body and press gently. Cut off any surplus bits with a modelling tool. For a polka dot design, make tiny balls out of the FIMO kids clay and place them on the monster and press gently with your finger to make them flat. You can also use the shaped cutters to add hearts, stars etc to the monster. Gently roll over the design with the roller.
- Once complete (whilst still on the baking paper), place the monsters in the oven for 30 minutes at 110 degrees centigrade. Allow to cool and then varnish. Once dried, the monster can be stuck to walls, toy boxes and other places using double sided adhesive tape.