Hola! In this project Get Arty artist, Ally, shows us how to make a Day of the Dead Collage!
Click here for a PDF of this project.
What you will need
- Liviano coloured card
- The Paper House Water Colour Paper
- Patterned paper / wrapping paper, metallic card
- Liquitex Paint Markers
- Reeves paint in various colours
- Celco scissors
- Celco Glue Stick
- Jasart Sketch Pencil
- Jasart paint brush
How to do it
- Get your cardboard and paint your background black. Leave this to dry.
- Paint a few sheets of paper in 4-5 colours and patterns. You can mix colours and styles of painting. Set them aside to dry as well.
- Draw and cut out two skeleton heads. Start by drawing a big semi-circle. It should be around the size of your own head. At the end of the semi-circle, draw two curved arches, followed by four smaller humps that look like a caterpillar or a worm.
- Then cut it out and glue it down to your painted cardboard.
- And now add the largest details like the clothes, hats and hair. Add a hat for one and hair for the other. If you’re using patterned paper, use that for the clothes. Glue into position.
- Time for the facial features. Use different shapes as well as circles for the eyes, like a cloud and a star from cardboard. Layer 2-3 different shapes and colours. Add in detail with a maker, like dots and stripes. For the nose draw an upside-down heart. For the mouth draw a stitched-up mouth. Add other details in like tear drops and love hearts on the cheeks with paint pens, even some patterns on the top of the skull. Draw on neck bones.
- Decorate the clothes and give these skeletons some accessories. Add a collar, pocket and braces to the skeleton with the hat. Also, add a belt and flower to the hat. For the skeleton with hair also give braces and add a necklace, earrings and flowers to the hair. Do all this with scrap cardboard. Place it on the artwork and when you are happy with it glue it down.