Create your practical and cute hedgehog pencil holder to sit pride of place on your desk.
To download a PDF of this project, cick here.
What you will need
- FIMOair Basic
- Acrylic Roller
- Modelling Tools
- Grind N Polish set
- Gloss Varnish
- Reeves Acrylic Paint
- Various sized Brushes
- A round cookie cutter approx. 4cm diameter
How to do it
- For a large hedgehog, open two 1000g packs of FIMOair basic and place the two blocks on top of each other. Remove a small portion of clay as you will need this for the nose later. Using both hands smooth over the joins between the blocks, moistening your hands to spread and smooth over the clay, (you want to create a bread like oval loaf shape).
- To make the head, flatten one of the shorter ends using the palm of your hand and shape into a triangle. Press and shape the other end to create a round bottom for the hedgehog.
- Use your fingers to form a pointed turned up hedgehog nose. With a pointed modelling stick create a wide mouth underneath the nose and dividing line between the head and body. Make two holes for the eyes. Shape a small pea sized ball of the FIMOair basic between moistened fingers and position on the tip of the hedgehog’s nose.
- Use the round cookie cutter to create a polka dot pattern all over the hedgehog’s body. To do this, moisten the rim of the cutter with water, place on the hedgehogs body and rotate with a little pressure to create an indentation in the clay.
- Stick a pencil point into the middle of each circle pushing it as far as you can. Twist the pencil from side to side to make the hold slightly bigger than the pencil end. Any cracks or unevenness can easily be removed by using the remaining bits of FIMOair Basic.
- Leave the hedgehog to dry for at least 12 hours or overnight in the air. Once dry, the hedgehog can be wet sanded using a sanding sponge.
- The hedgehog can now be painted using the acrylic paint. Allow the paint to dry completely and then add a coat of gloss varnish. Now grab your pencils and stick them in pointed end upwards