Transform a memorable photo into an acrylic transfer artwork with Liquitex. The perfect gift for someone special or just for you!
What you will need
- Liquitex White Gesso
- Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish
- Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic Paints 59ml (colour of your choice)
- Kent Craft Knife
- Jasart Cutting Mats
- Reeves Disposable Paper Palette Pads
- Jasart Synthetic Brushes (size & type of your choice)
- Jasart Wooden Board, Unprimed (size of your choice)
- Water Tub & Sponge
How to do it
- Print out the image you wish to transfer with.
- Apply a thin even layer of Gloss Medium & Varnish. Let it dry.
- Repeat applications of the Medium until you have 4-5 layers on the image.
- Once completely dry, turn the paper over and splash water on it. Allow to soak in for a few minutes.
- Gently rub the damp paper to remove the paper and reveal your image.
- Use your fingers to rub the paper off.
- Use a damp sponge to remove any paper residue.
- Your image will now be imbedded in a flexible plastic film of the dried Gloss Medium & Varnish. Place to one side.
- Take your chosen surface. In this artwork a board prepped with Gesso is being used. Place the Gloss Medium & Varnish on it.
- Apply a thin coat of Gloss Medium & Varnish to your chosen surface to bind the image to the film, acting as an adhesive.
- Place your dry plastic film with the image glossy sideup. Use a sponge to 'ironout' any bubbles for an image that is evenly adhered to your surface.
- Turn your work over and use a knife to trim the sides.
- Now your transfer is ready for any painted elements you wish to incorporate.
- Add your choice of Liquitex paint and mediums for a painterly effect and to add texture to your acrylic transfer artwork.
- The result is an image that can be painted onto. It's a great way to add collaged elements to your paintings.