By using a clear gesso, you can prime a number of surfaces so acrylic paint grips to it! A fun DIY activity ideal for events or parties is to create custom drinking glasses or cups or a table decoration.
Here is just one example using a simple design a festive St Patricks Day drink mug.
Click here for a PDF version of this project.
What you will need
- Acrylic Paint
- Clear Gesso
How to do it
- Ensure the glass surface you are painting is clean and dry.
- Start by applying a thin coat of the Liquitex Clear Gesso. Once dry apply a further coat.
- Once the gesso layers are completely dry use a pencil to draw out your design. Note that you will need to create a design which avoids the top 2cm of the glass rim so paint does not come in contact with your mouth.
- Paint in the areas of your design. Depending on the effect required you may need 2-3 coats. Allow to dry between each coat.
- Once the paint is completely dry, carefully wipe away any excess gesso with a damp cloth.
NOTE: It is recommended that the outer glass you have painted can be handwashed carefully with a little water. Pat dry.
TIP: Why not try experimenting on different surfaces – ceramic, wood, plastic or metal!