This online tutorial will teach you step-by-step how to draw a beloved Aussie icon, the endearingly unique Platypus. Discover the beauty of drawing, with the rich colours of Jasart pencils which can be layered in subtle, light sketched applications as well as vibrant, deep full colour applications. You will be guided through the process of layering Jasart Studio Colour and Watercolour Pencils to create your own drawing.
This tutorial will help you gain confidence in mark-making, building layers of colour, using watercolour pencils and colour pencils together successfully in one artwork.
You will learn how to gradually create tone in a convincing way, by building up layers of sketched light marks. Directional mark-making and creating washes of watercolour are demonstrated. Understand how to deconstruct larger forms into smaller shapes with tone to create dimension and form. Work with a limited palette of colour in a range of earths, blues, greys, reds and green across both Watercolour and Colour pencils.
This video style online class is run by a Professional Artist, Carla Hananiah and will allow you to create with confidence, whilst being guided through each step of the illustration at your own pace.
We recommend that you watch the video tutorial in its entirety before commencing, so preferred techniques and effects can be selected to try out on your own artwork. The online video format of this tutorial also however allows you to start and stop at your own pace if you wish. You can view the video for 30 days from the date you receive access to the video.
About the Artist: Carla Hananiah
Carla holds a Masters of Fine Art through Research, a Master of Art and a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of New South Wales. She has exhibited throughout Australia and is the recipient of multiple prizes including Mosman Art Prize Viewers’ Choice Award (2012), the Blake Prize Society’s John Coburn Emerging Artist Award (2011), the Hornsby Art Prize (2011) and the Winsor & Newton Start Your Studio Scholarship (2009). Carla seeks to capture the overwhelming beauty of nature and our relationship to its bewildering force. Her intimate knowledge of colour frames the foundation of her practice.
Video Tutorial Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
How does it work?
- Purchase the online tutorial on this page.
- Once your order has been processed, an email will be sent to you from email@example.com with your video tutorial link and login details. Please allow up to 2 working days to receive this email.
- Ensure you have the materials for the tutorial – please see below.
- Pencil some time in your diary to set up your art materials, watch the online tutorial and create your artwork!
What do you need?
To make your life easier, we have developed an Art Kit tailored specifically for this tutorial, which contains all the essential art materials featured in this tutorial. Click here to purchase the kit and save over 60% off the recommended retail price (RRP), while stocks last.
The list of materials required for this tutorial are also listed below, which are available to buy individually, should you have your own art materials at home!
- Jasart Studio Colour Pencils in Cobalt Blue, Blue Grey, Prussian Blue, Brown, Black, Silver Grey, Burnt Sienna, Claret & Teal Green
- Jasart Studio Watercolour Pencils in Ultramarine, Light Blue, Bark, Maroon, Dark Grey, Dark Chocolate & Payne’s Grey
- 2 x Reeves Watercolour Paper Sheets (A3 200gsm)
- 1 x Jasart Aqua Brush Pen (Fine Nib)
- 1 x Jasart Pencil Case (Holds up to 48 Pencils)
- 1 x Pre-printed Template of a Platypus
We hope you thoroughly enjoy this online tutorial.