Create your own coaster using Glossies (an Acrylic enamel).Great for handmade gifts or to perfectly match the interior of your home.
Download the PDF to print instructions.
What you will need
- White domestic tiles purchased from a hardware store or glass/ceramic coasters from a home or department store
- Selection of Liquitex Glossies
- Alcohol or Methylated Spirits
- Palette Knife and/or Soft Paint Brushes
- Rubber Gloves (optional)
How to do it
It is extremely important that the surface you are working with is clean before starting your project. Thoroughly wipe the surface with alcohol or an alcohol wipe before starting and allow to dry before applying your Glossies
Using your selected colours (we used four), drip and drizzle your colours in even amounts over the surface with a heavier concentration in the centre of the surface. Be generous in your application, as you need an adequate amount of paint to successfully achieve the marble effect (in step 4) and cover the whole tile.
Use a fine paint brush or palette knife to gently drag the different colours through each other so that they begin to intermingle. Be careful not to be too vigorous and over mix as you want the colours to join but not become muddy and mix together completely.
Holding the tile in your hand, gently rotate it, tipping it from side to side, allowing the paint to slide over the surface, making sure it goes to each edge, if you find you do not have enough paint to reach the edges, quickly add more whilst still wet.
Once you have completed marbling the tile, sit it down to allow the surface to settle and dry. After you have allowed the surface to settle (ideally 24 hours), place in the middle of a cool oven (160 C) for 45 minutes on a baking tray to prove and set. (You can put the tile on aluminium foil to protect the baking tray)
One the tile has been proved, remove from the oven and allow to cool Once cooled completely your tile is now ready to be used as a coaster.
- This project works best with a selection of bright, contrasting colours to create the marbled effect.
- Use warm soapy water to clean your finished decorated coaster. Not suitable for use in dishwashers.
- Keep painted surface horizontal until dry. Paint may "slide" if not thoroughly air dried prior to heat setting. Clean up any spills or tools with soap and warm water.
- Stir Liquitex Glossies for 30-60 seconds before using as pigments and mica flakes may settle at the bottom of the jar. Do not shake. Glossies paint will dry completely at room temperature after 48 hours but it is recommended to hear set in an oven..