Personalise a plain calico bag with a fun design. Due to the fabric nature of the bag it can be reused time and time again.
Ideal for use as a library bag, transporting art and craft materials or even on Easter egg hunts!
Download a PDF version of this project.
What you will need
- Carving tools
- Fabric Medium
- Acrylic Paint
- Lino Rollers
- Flat palette
- Plastic Palette Knives
- Pom poms
- Hot Glue Gun
- Calico Bag
How to do it
Firstly wash, dry and iron your Calico bag.
- Once dry lay on a flat even surface placing a piece of cardboard into the bag. This prevents any ink seeping through to the other side of the bag.
- Mix the desired colours of acrylic paint and fabric medium in equal parts onto the flat palette using a plastic palette knife. The fabric medium mixed with acrylic paint prevents uneven application and colour running.
- Draw out your design onto the Ezycarve then carve out the shape. You may want to quickly draw out your design idea for the bag onto a piece of paper to make sure you like the layout and know the spacing required.
- Using the lino roller load up the paint mixture onto the Ezycarve shape and carefully place it face down onto the bag in the desired location. Press firmly to ensure the paint mixture has transferred. Reload the Ezycarve shape with paint mixture for each print until you have your desired design.
- Leave to dry
- Follow the manufacturers instructions on the fabric medium you are using. Some brands require you to iron to “fix” the colour.
- If adding embellishments such as the pom pom bunny tails, apply a small amount of glue using a hot glue gun then press into position immediately.
- Once fully dried you are now ready to use.
IDEA: This is a simple and fun activity for children to get involved with especially the “printing” aspect. Why not try creating a bag design using flowers, butterflies, owls, robots, cars, monkeys…whatever your imagination desires! (For safety all carving and hot glue gun activities should be either completed by adults or depending on the age of the child with adult supervision).