Create these fun Easter hats as a simple alternative to an Easter Bonnet. They can be made up to any size!
Click here for a PDF of this project.
What you will need
- Educraft Felt Sheets
- Educraft Foam Sheets
- Glue Gun*
*Children should use glue gun and scissors under adult supervision.
How to do it
- For the Bunny mask, measure your child’s head before starting. Cut a strip that is 5cm wide from the pink Educraft felt. If the head measurement is longer than the felt strip, cut multiple strips the same width and glue together using a glue gun to form a headband.
- Cut a 4cm strip from an Educraft Foam sheet. You will need the same amount of foam as in Step #1. Secure along the edges of the felt strips with the glue gun. This will give the felt stability to stand up securely when the hat is complete. Once all the glue has cooled and dried, glue the two ends of the felt/foam strip together into a circle to the size of your child head making sure the felt is on the outside.
- Cut some large glasses out of the black Educraft foam, a nose from the pink foam and some bunny teeth from the white foam. Secure all three pieces together with the glue gun. Once dried and cooled, attach them onto the felt head wrap you made earlier. The bunny ears are made using the pink and white foam and glued onto the head wrap with a glue gun.
- For the Chick hat, measure your child’s head circumference. Next, secure multiple sheets of yellow felt together using the glue gun to make the hat wide enough for your child’s head.
- Cut a zig zag pattern from a long strip of white felt keeping the width around 2cm. This is to create a broken shell effect. You may need to glue multiple strips together depending on size of the hat being created. The strip can be glued directly onto the large yellow felt piece. Next, form a cylinder shape using yellow felt with the width being the size of your child’s head. Secure the ends with the glue gun.
- Gather the top of the felt and secure with an elastic band. Take strips of orange foam or felt and place into the gathered section. This will look like chick’s hair. Cover with a strip of orange felt and tie in a knot. Create a mouth for the chick using orange felt and eyes out of black felt, secure them with the glue gun and leave to dry before wearing.