Suitable for Age 8 and up. Adult supervision is advised.
Click here for a PDF of this project.
What you will need
- Jacquard Tie Dye Kit
- 100% natural fibre T-shirt or garment
- Best Protect Hand Wipes
- Plastic bag
- Drop cloth or plastic (to protect work area)
How to do it
- Take out all the contents from the Jacquard Tie Dye Kit. You should have 3 applicator bottles of dye, soda ash dye fixer, gloves, rubber bands and instructions.
- Prepare your work area by spreading a drop cloth or plastic to protect surfaces. Put on gloves.
- Add the packet of soda ash into a bucket filled with approximately 7 ½ litres of hot tap water. Stir to dissolve. Add your shirt and soak for 20 minutes.
- Fill dye applicator bottles to the marked line with warm tap water. Recap and shake to mix. Ensure nozzles are clear and all dye has dissolved.
- Wring out your shirt from the soda ash mixture. Do not rinse. Your shirt should be wet but not dripping. Put soda ash mixture aside as it can be re-used for additional tie dyes.
- Fold your shirt using a back and forth accordion fold by folding up and folding down along the shirt. Create vertical folds by starting on the left side and folding till you reach the right side.
- After folding, place 5 rubber bands evenly spaced up the shirt, tightly around the folded area and 1 rubber band around each sleeve.
- Using the dye bottles, apply blue dye to the lower two-thirds of your shirt and red dye to the upper two-thirds, crossing over in the middle to create a purple blended effect.
- After you have applied the dye, place your shirt in a plastic bag and let it sit for 12 to 24 hours. Ensure your plastic bag is tied off so your shirt does not dry out.
- Rinse in cool water until water runs clear. Machine wash separately to ensure all dye has been removed. Wash as normal with like colours.